A toy house stands on a pocket calculator. Money can be seen in the background.
Picture credit: pixabay / AlexanderStein

The financial assistance you can get depends on your personal situation. We have compiled the answers to the key questions on the subject of financing your housing situation in old age.

Before commissioning home alterations, you should check where you can perhaps apply for funds. For example, the KfW-Förderbank offers low-interest loans and grants for home alterations.

If you would like to carry out structural alterations in a rented home, you must first consult your landlord/landlady on the matter and get his/her permission!

If your tenancy agreement commits you to restore the original condition at your own expense when you move out, you should agree in writing that this provision is not to apply to the planned alterations.


More information on the KfW funding programmes is available on the Internet at

The following Internet portals provide information on other funding options in the field of building and housing: